[IFETS-DISCUSSION:2486] Re: IFETS-DISCUSSION digest 320

Subject: [IFETS-DISCUSSION:2486] Re: IFETS-DISCUSSION digest 320
From: Victoria Satta (victoria2@erols.com)
Date: Tue 30 Oct 2001 - 17:50:10 MET

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:50:10 -0500
From: Victoria Satta <victoria2@erols.com>

At 09:30 PM 10/30/01 +1300, you wrote:
>People, like every other learning organism, will learn to do what is
>rewarded. Elements such as interactivitiy, collaboration and engagement are
>contingent on the perceived reward for making the effort in the first place.

Hi Jen: I'm not sure what you consider to be reward. If that is true then
we are in trouble. What about the JOY of learning?

>One of the first things most students will notice is what works and what
>doesn't for different markers. Despite the rhetoric about learner centred
>learning and 'deep' learning, neither staff or students are rewarded for
>putting in the extra effort - rather the reverse.

Learners become absorbed/engaged, or what we consider to be immersed, when
they are involved in play/fun or joyful learning activities. Let's face
it, they learn more too. I think we should put more of the responsibility
for learning on the game designers, the teachers and the companies who
produce learning material rather than trying to force kids to learn. If
they are playing and having fun, they will learn automatically because they
"want" to be there since it's an enjoyable experience.

My 2 cents!
Victoria
List address to send message to everyone:
ifets-discussion@catfish.valdosta.edu