[IFETS-DISCUSSION:2486] RE: Definition(s) of active learning

Subject: [IFETS-DISCUSSION:2486] RE: Definition(s) of active learning
From: Nickols, Fred (FNickols@ets.org)
Date: Tue 30 Oct 2001 - 15:01:25 MET

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:01:25 -0500
From: "Nickols, Fred" <FNickols@ets.org>

I checked out the link to the many definitions of active learning. My, my,
we've come a long way from the old programmed instruction days when "active
learning" meant simply that a learner had to do something with the material
being presented or made available. That aside, I have looked in vain for a
widely accepted definition of the root term, learning.

What is the currently accepted definition of "learning" -- or is there one?

Regards,

Fred Nickols
Educational Testing Service
MS 26-D
Princeton, NJ 08541
Tel (609) 734-5077

The views expressed above are mine; they do not reflect the official view of
ETS.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or
confidential information. It is solely for use by the individual for whom
it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly. If you received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or
take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete
it from your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited. Thank you
for your compliance.

List address to send message to everyone:
ifets-discussion@catfish.valdosta.edu
Details of current discussion: http://ifets.ieee.org/discussions/discuss.html