[IFETS-DISCUSSION:2457] (not) engaged

Subject: [IFETS-DISCUSSION:2457] (not) engaged
From: Clark Quinn (clarkq@home.com)
Date: Sat 27 Oct 2001 - 01:24:13 MEST

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:24:13 -0700
From: Clark Quinn <clarkq@home.com>

>> "As I said before, there is a lot of difference between
>> "enagaged" and what I > call "experiential or active engagement."
>
> I agree, I have reviewed many web training programs that tout interactivity.
> For the most part the interactivity is no more than having the student
> choose different buttons to push as they navigate through the program.

C'mon guys, let's not confound things!

Engagement is a cognitive process, and does not require physical activity.
You can be engaged in a book, just by reading it! People have been known to
learn from books, after all, and also to find high quality entertainment.
Having the learner active is just one way to generate engagement.

And no one is sensibly going to claim that because there're buttons to push
it is engaging. Interactivity is also not the same thing as engagement.

Engagement is important (in the corporate training market, the engagement of
online learning content is a hot topic), but hard to do well (as we've
discussed quite a bit over the past days); there're a lot of elements that
contribute to engagement, and they have to be balanced. At the risk of
being self-aggrandizing (but better than being repetitive), I've suggested a
model at http://itech1.coe.uga.edu/itforum/paper18/paper18.html

It's old, but still largely accurate (at least, of my thinking :-). --
Clark

--
Clark Quinn
clarkq@home.com