[IFETS-DISCUSSION:2452] RE: engaged I think not

Subject: [IFETS-DISCUSSION:2452] RE: engaged I think not
From: Smith, Donald S (Donald.S.Smith@usa.xerox.com)
Date: Fri 26 Oct 2001 - 15:01:59 MEST

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:01:59 -0400
From: "Smith, Donald S" <Donald.S.Smith@usa.xerox.com>

Dr. Eric Flescher said:

> "As I said before, there is a lot of difference between
> "enagaged" and what I > call "experiential or active engagement."

I agree, I have reviewed many web training programs that tout interactivity.
For the most part the interactivity is no more than having the student
choose different buttons to push as they navigate through the program.
Typical of lame interactivity are the computer application training programs
that have students peck their way through screen simulations like the
behavioral rat through the scientist's maze.

Where is the active learning? Most of those so called interactive self
taught web training programs are so boring no one could possibly complete
them. And even if they did, what would they remember?

Don Smith

List address to send message to everyone:
ifets-discussion@catfish.valdosta.edu
Details of current discussion: http://ifets.ieee.org/discussions/discuss.html